Monday, 27 February 2012
I have recently sorted through my stash and ironed everything up neatly so this was actually more of a joy than normal and wasn’t confined to what I simply had near the top of a very disorganised pile! Once everything was appliqued down I lined the bag with an old T-Shirt, created a channel for the ribbon and sewed up the sides. It’s not necessary to line these things but I prefer the end result after applique as it hides my messy embroidery!! And Voila!! one laundry bag fit for a nursery.
Wednesday, 22 February 2012
This is a nice project to get started sewing and can be quite a useful stash buster as well. The Tutorial I used to remind me of the steps for this can be found here at little sage.
Sunday, 19 February 2012
Thursday, 16 February 2012
From the front….
Finished laughing yet????
If you look closely at the top you can see how badly off centre my points are. This is definitely a design I plan to practice on!! So hopefully dear readers in the future you will see some perfectly sewn spherical balls which will have some hope of rolling across the floor! In the meantime I am very proud of my little square birdy as he will function as a very cute cushion if nothing else!!
Sunday, 12 February 2012
The local charity shop was raided and I came up trumps with a duvet cover in in yellow and green gingham. The charity shop is very pot luck with lots of granny-esque specimens but if you can find a duvet cover you like then you have a source of cheap cotton…this one cost me 50p. This is how I did it:
1. I laid it out on the table and laid the original pillowcase on top as a template. The cunning bit is to use the existing hem and closures wherever possible – save on a bit of sewing! I lined the pillowcase up against the side of the duvet to create a natural join and used the poppered hem at the bottom for the opening.
2. The next step is to cut around your template. This can be tricky as I found with this duvet one side didn’t exactly match up with the other. You can solve this by separating the sides and treating each as a separate bit of fabric or allow yourself some extra seam allowance. I opted for the latter.
3. To help deal with the overlap I turned the duvet so the right sides were facing and then pinned the original pillowcase to the fabric. This helped me negotiate any areas where the seams were cutting it a bit fine. Just be careful not to sew the original pillowcase down as well!!
4. Sew around all the closed edges of the pillowcase leaving one end open (the end with the Poppers).
The picture below shows the mismatch in the two materials even though they were even when I Cut them out!
5. Trim away the excess fabric from the hem.
6. Turn right sides out and use!
Below you can see both sides of the finished cushion cover as well as a close up of the original hem and popper fasteners that now form the closures. I need to add another couple just to make it a firmer close but definitely an easy make and for less than 50p!
Monday, 6 February 2012
The second project is more of a practical nature. The one thing any parent will say is that you can’t have too many muslin cloths. Babies burp, throw up, wee, dribble and generally leak all over themselves the furnishings and you! The muslin is apparently a must have in the parental toolkit helping to keep your clothes slightly drier and smelling fresher. The muslins on sale are absorbent but struck me as being a bit thin so I made some designer burp cloths.
As you can see in the photo they are the simplest sewing project ever! Take a square (can be any shape) of cotton (I used half a fat quarter for the snails one but anything will do – up cycled clothes and duvets for instance. The Size and shape of the cloths can be varied as you wished just keep in mind the ultimate function. Cut a second shape out of a fleecy or flannel fabric. The cotton layer helps jazz the cloths up and provides a good starter surface whereas the flannel provides some grip to keep it on the parents shoulder and helps give a bit more absorbency. Put right sides together and sew right the way around leaving a small hole to turn it out. Turn right side out and iron flat. Then to finish simply top stitch round the border. The top stitching gives a nice finish and helps the burp cloth keep its shape through multiple washings.
Thursday, 2 February 2012
I have been busy recently on lots of baby makes. I got a wonderful present of a nephew on Christmas Eve. A teeny Tiny little boy. Some of the makes in the next few posts have been in production for a while but I have finally gotten round to finishing them and posting them out.
So first up is a teeny tiny laundry bag for the new boys dodgy smelling post poo clothes! Its such a simple make and there are lots of tutorials out there to help you along. Essentially you take two piece of material (four if you want a lined bag) and sew a channel along what will be the top edge (simply double hem it). Then sew up the sides and thread a shoelace through and you have a drawstring laundry bag. I up cycled one of my husbands old shirts for the lining and added a few Cath Kidston Boat scenes which have been lurking in my stash since My first Quilting project Here. The parcel is now winging its way down south so lets hope the little man decides he’s into boats…